Starting with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu prices grew in to the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. In the process it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. One hundred many years of history is, well, lots of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with the first mug of Root Beer served in a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it absolutely was the first U.S. chain restaurant to expand to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is over the age of sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the Original Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (introduced by Dale Murder who became president and is now chairman in the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the fantastic Root Bear as the mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California is home to by far the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of the&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds available in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You will find nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 within the U.S.
On June 20, A&W became the first American restaurant chain to turn 100. The first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California with a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W includes a long past of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration and also the third year it has partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV hope to raise $200,000 for your organization, which serves multiple million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided an estimated $6 million in direct good things about veterans.
“Our partnership using aAndW is growing each year, and that we truly appreciate its support for the ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our own American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, and that we are very glad to again be working with AAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised greater than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
Regarding A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, a&w holiday hours still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries which are served in a frosty mug along with burgers, fries, chicken tenders as well as other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.